Thursday 30 October 2014

London: The Gothic and Illustration.

London typically has a huge impact on most people studying design; through it's iconic features, art history and it's range of museums and galleries. In my post, 'London: The Music Scene', earlier this year, I mentioned how London and it's music scene inspired me and my design work and that I would love to go again.

There are so many galleries, exhibitions and museums that interest me in London, but this time I chose to focus on 'House of Illustration'. I liked the concept of a gallery exhibiting illustration pieces because I am really interested in this style of design, however, I was really disappointed with the experience in general. There were only two small rooms, with little work and not worth the entrance fee. I realise that some people may disagree with me but in my opinion, it wasn't worth visiting during the 'Inside Stories' exhibition. I did purchase a cute book by Quentin Blake though, 'What Does an Illustrator Think About?'; I think this will benefit my design ideas and i'm glad I picked it up.

'What Does an Illustrator Think About?' - Quentin Blake.

As I have said in many of my posts, I am really interested in the Gothic conventions and heavily inspired by it's Literature and Film. It was very exciting to accidentally walk past the 'Terror and Wonder, The Gothic Imagination' exhibition at 'The British Library' on my way back to the City Centre. I could have spent hours there if I had the chance and I think this exhibition is going to influence my next few projects and design work. I love discovering the history and ideas of the Gothic themes so I loved spending time at this specific exhibition. I also bought some really pretty items too.

'Gothic; The Evolution Of A Dark Subculture' - Roberts, Livingstone and Baxter-Wright.

We also found Platform 3/4's at King's Cross Station near 'House of Illustraton', that was fun to see!

Before travelling back home on the coach for five hours, my boyfriend and I relaxed with a coffee in Costa at Piccadilly, then enjoyed the London Christmassy feel from the lights and decorations on an Autumn evening walk. 

I hope this becomes a regular thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment